Thursday, September 25, 2008

Power Outage

So most of you don't know about our power outage that we had last week. We had the left over hurricane from Hurriance Ike and lost our electricity for a week!!! It sucked and def. showed me how unprepared we are for what could come and we're told to be prepared for. Luckily my dad got power back earlier that week and he let us borrow his generator so we could hook up our fridge so my groceries that I bought the day before didn't spoil. It was VERY expensive to run but it helped us out. Because of it we were able to run the t.v., fridge, and a few lights here and there and also my blow dryer and straightener when I needed to do my hair for work in the morning. Learn from our bad example and follow the Prophet!!! We need to be prepared and I always thought "It will never happen to me I have tomorrow to worry about it." But you really don't! Be prepared you never know what is going to happen.
This is our yummy fetticuine alfredo that we cooked on Ryan's back packing stove. This is what we did for dinner every night. Well not the alfredo but using the stove.

6 comments:

Linley and Austin said...

Yeah, when Austin told me about what happened, it really got me thinking...are we ready for something like that? And of course the answer was no. We would probably starve to death if some real catastrophe happened. I definetly know that from what you guys experienced, it has really got Austin and I thinking more about food storage and being prepared. Glad to know that everything turned out fine in the end for you guys :)

Jobi Niu said...

Geez! That makes me wanna be more prepared! WOW! Good job guys...

~*Jen*~ said...

Wow! That's so crazy! The important thing is that you found a way to get through it all!

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

Thanks for the reminder!!! I need that. We really need to be better. We are working on our food storage, but we have no way to really cook it. I will work on that. I guess we could live off of the beef jerky in our 72 hour kit. ha

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

BTW, how are you feeling?

Amber Miller said...

It's amazing how just a few days can make you feel that way especially when we are told to be prepared for like a year, huh? Ben and I have like 6 dreams in 2 weeks to be prepared. Now I'm super prepared! I have a binder with how to get ready for $20 a week and everything we need for our family... I'm grateful for little things like what happened to you and my dreams to help us get ready in case something bigger that might come!